Get new similar jobs by email for
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Staff Optometrist reports directly to the Director of Eye Care Services. The Staff Optometrist provides high quality care, comprehensive eye and vision care services to patients. The Staff Optometrist makes referrals to ophthalmology and other specialty service consultations when necessary and is expect to maintain current optometric knowledge and skills.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Requires sitting, bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate forms and reports as needed. Assumes potential exposure to communicable disease and bodily fluids.
As an organization we are committed to providing care as Patient Centered Medical Home. All employees are required to be aware of the organization’s practice of the NCQA Patient Centered Medical Home and the National Health Disparities’ Improvement Models.
· Provides comprehensive eye care to patients as indicated. This may include assessment and management of acute and chronic diseases and treatment of injuries.
· Performs complete annual eye exams and record findings using logician and paper charts when necessary for visual fields.
· Interprets and integrates data to determine appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as needed.
· Works collaboratively with the optician to suggest special lenses, frames type when needed, and special coatings.
· Analyzes and evaluates the functioning of the staff as it relates to aspects of clinical practice and care. Make any suggestions and discuss functional problems to the Eye Care Director.
· Participates in multi-disciplinary projects on patient care and quality improvements when requested by Eye Care Director.
· Maintains familiarity with medical/moral and medical/legal issues related to the eye care practice. Serves as a resource to the medical staff in related matters.
· RepresentsWhittierStreetHealthCenter in its relationship with outside organizations in matters relating to the eye care practice and patient care.
· Participates in professional development activities and maintain professional licenses and affiliations.
· Performs other duties as requested.
· Strong knowledge of eye care practice and standards of care to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care.
· Knowledge of the community we serve and the ability to garner support from those leaders within the community to enable the organization to meet its goals and objectives.
· Ability to work with other physicians, providers and other healthcare professionals in a collaborative manner to meet the organizational goals and objectives.
· Knowledge of computer systems and applications.
· Skill in effective problem solving.
· Strong communication skills.
· Knowledge of community oriented primary care principles.
· Current License as a therapeutically certified Doctor of Optometry in the State of Massachusetts.
· Residency training or three years of experience as a practicing optometrist in a community setting.