Under general supervision by the Practice Administrator/Supervisor or RN or MA Coordinator, functions as a member of the care team who actively participates in performance improvement initiatives to ensure quality patient outcomes. Assists the provider and care team with patient care and performs activities within the scope of care as defined by the American Association of Medical Assistants and within the scope of policies and procedures developed by Infinity Primary Care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Demonstrates positive customer service skills towards patients, medical staff, coworkers and the public. This includes, but is not limited to, friendliness, courteousness and patience. Treats staff, physicians, visitors and patients with dignity and respect. Displays a positive and cooperative attitude toward teamwork. Responds to physician and staff requests for assistance. Contributes actively to the team effort, openly sharing knowledge and experience with others. Identifies and assists in resolving problems and/or complaints. Assists in orientation and training of new employees and provides feedback to Practice Administrator/Practice Supervisor. Attends required meetings and in-services. Participates on committees, as required.
2. Assists patient flow through the office. Conducts pre-visit planning by reviewing and updating electronic health record prior to appointments with recent test results and correspondence and determines needed services per practice protocol. Confers with care team regarding any incomplete patient tests/consults or other incomplete orders prior to patient visit. Problem-solves when necessary. Documents data collection, diagnostic or laboratory tests and discharge instructions in the medical record. Performs clerical tasks as assigned. Scans/files paperwork and reports as needed in the medical record.
3. Schedules, checks in and out patients into electronic health record as directed. Provides copies of patient health records and completes inquiry forms after ensuring necessary authorizations/releases of information are obtained in accordance with HIPAA guidelines. Escorts patients to examining room; Performs assessment of patient; documenting date, allergies, medications, vital signs and medical history. Questions patient concerning chief complaint or purpose of the visit. Assists physician with examination, minor diagnostic procedures and treatment; sets up and passes instruments, equipment and supplies; administers medication; performs routine technical and special procedures as directed by the physician. Gathers and relays information regarding Advance Directives, ABN’s or other pertinent information. Performs and explains therapeutic and diagnostic procedures; i.e., cardiac testing, CT scan, general surgeries, etc. Performs standing orders as indicated. Performs routine diagnostic testing, blood draws, intramuscular, subcutaneous, intradermal injections and oral medications as ordered by the provider. Maintains complete and accurate summary of care given, inclusive of medications administered, procedures performed and appropriate nursing assessment and observation.
4. Uses evidence-based approaches to self-management such as patient coaching, motivational interviewing and teach-back techniques. Assists patients in developing personal health goals and providing educational tools including self-care support and community resources to achieve desirable outcomes. Reviews care plan instructions with patients/families and documents in the electronic health record.
5. Triages and responds to patient communications within practice policy. Schedules physician ordered diagnostic procedures, tests/standing orders and appointments with other physician’s offices or ancillary departments as directed. Tracks and monitors completion of all orders. Coordinates care with disease management or case management programs.
6. Prepares, cleans and maintains exam rooms following infection control and OSHA standards and assemble necessary supplies and equipment for the examination or testing in a thorough and timely manner. Maintains quality control logs as specified for equipment being used ensures rooms are stocked and ready. Performs routine diagnostic testing including but not limited to EKGs, pulse oximetry, prothrombin times, and glucometers as ordered by the provider. Ensures proper patient identification. Places completed results in medical record for physician interpretation and review. Performs routine blood draws and injections as ordered by the provider and document in the medical record in a timely and accurate manner. Instructs patients on specimen collection while adhering to Infinity policies. Assists with patient education and distribution of educational and instructional material as directed by the physician and/or designee.
7. Maintains sample medications records, administers medication upon physician order and responds to medication requests per practice protocol. Checks inventory control levels of medications and supplies and notifies individual who places orders to ensure adequate supplies. Ensures that expired medications and supplies are not being utilized and properly disposed according to OSHA, MSDS, FDA, and EPA guidelines.
8. Takes responsibility for own actions. Maintains neat, orderly, safe, clean work environment. With general assistance, meets position objectives and deadlines with minimal errors. Adapts to changes in work environment and workload. Uses systematic approach to tasks, setting priorities, considering alternatives and assessing risks. Examines work flow and related operational procedures and makes recommendations to the care team on possible work simplification, cost reduction and quality improvements. Contributes in the development of policies and procedures and participates in development activities.
9. Meets position objectives and deadlines with minimal errors and reworks. Includes appropriate people in decision-making and keeps physicians, administration and staff informed of changes.
10. With general oversight, follows Infinity policies and procedures and responds to administrative directives. Maintains strictest confidentiality. Ensures a safe environment for all employees, providers and patients by complying with Infinity’s safety and equipment and infection control policies and procedures. Attends required meetings and safety training in-services and reports incidents/accidents and complies with preventative action as needed. Adheres to the regulatory standards set forth by OSHA, MIOSHA, CLIA, and HIPAA. With general assistance, identifies and assists in resolving problems and/or complaints.
11. Performs other related duties and projects as assigned. This job description should not be considered an exhaustive listing of all duties and responsibilities performed in this position. Infinity Primary Care encourages all employees to develop personal and professional goals for themselves and will provide opportunities for continued growth and development.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have a positive can-do attitude and a genuine empathy for others. Able to work with people from diverse ethnic, cultural, gender, socioeconomic and sexual preference backgrounds. Must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily, as well as provide excellent guest/patient relations. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Associate will participate in on-going educational and training to maintain or increase his/her competencies. Associate may be reassigned to another office location.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Minimum Education:
High school diploma. Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
2. Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH)
Knowledge of Patient Centered Medical Home principles. Associate is responsible to participate in education and training that is specific to the needs of the population(s) served by Infinity Primary Care. Associate is responsible to actively participate as a member of the physician care team. Associate is responsible to make the necessary changes in his/her actions that produce favorable patient outcomes.
3. Minimum Work Experience:
One year as a Medical Assistant in a physician’s office preferred.
4. Communication and Language Skills:
Requires good written and verbal communication. Must be able to react calmly and effectively in stressful or time-sensitive situations. Requires ability to read and understand detailed information or procedures.
5. Computer and Math Skills:
Work requires competency and familiarity using the Internet, websites and various types of computer software. Experience working with an Electronic Health Record preferred. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate and percent.
6. Physical Effort:
Work requires prolonged periods of standing, walking, bending, reaching and lifting objects weighing more than 20 pounds. Ability to distinguish among colors is required.