About the Job
Our client, a leading Energy Engineering and Consulting Firm based in the Northeast, has hired our firm to locate them a dynamic, driven and detail oriented Underground Transmission Line Engineer to join their growing team. They provide Engineering, Consulting Services and Project Management to Utility Companies, Government Agencies, Businesses and related Power industry entities in the areas of Transmission, Distribution, Generation, Transportation and Renewable Energy Services. They offer a Team Friendly Environment with an Entrepreneurial Spirit. Great Opportunity to join a respected Firm!
The Underground Transmission Line Engineer will be familiar with the detailed Engineering Design and Project Management of Underground Cable Transmission (69-500kV), Sub-transmission (23-34.5kV) and Distribution Systems. These projects are to include entire new facilities, major additions and rehabilitation and replacement of existing Cable systems.
Required Personal Skills:
· Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing within company and with Clients.
· The ability to analyze technical problems and the ability to use engineering knowledge to solve complex problems in new, unique, and cost effective ways.
· Comfortable and effective working in teams and across functional groups that vary from fundamentally technical to non-technical.
· The ability to provide work direction to others team members as required.
· Considers and interprets client’s technical requirements; assigns meaning to information provided.
· Highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
· Capability of managing multiple tasks simultaneously and delivering against tight deadlines.
Required Technical Skills:
· Knowledge of Engineering Economics, Surveying, GIS, Electrical Engineering, Environmental and Legal Regulations.
· Expertise in Route Selection, Cable Technology evaluation, EMF studies, Constructability studies, and Cost Estimation. Familiarity with AISC, ANSI, ASTM & ASCE, and NESC.
· Plans, schedules, conducts and/or coordinates detailed phases of Engineering assignments involving multiple major Projects, requiring the evaluation and application of standards with appropriate modification.
· Determines and documents Project Estimate, Scope and Schedule; Sets and evaluates Design Options and Criteria for Technical Merit; Conducts Field Visits, Verifies and inspects Electrical Line Assets, Equipment Parameters and identifies applicable Codes and System Specification requirements.
· Directs a Team of Designer/Drafters in support of all assigned projects; Assigns Project tasks to Project Team members so assignments are completed on time and within Budget. Prepare Documentation and conduct Meetings. Ensure proper accounting procedures are followed.
· Expertise in Engineering and Design deliverables for Underground Transmission Lines including Plan and Profiles, Ampacity Calculations, Pulling Calculations, Material Selection, Duct Bank Design, Manhole and Vault Design, Trenchless Cable Installation and Construction Specifications in compliance with Safety, Environmental and Client Standards and Policies.
· Works with Client and/or Contractors to develop Cut-over Procedures to minimize Customer Outages and maximize Personnel Safety. Provide Engineering support to resolve Technical issues that may arise in the different Project Phases, including Field Visits.
· Demonstrate technical expertise in Transmission Line Design and the ability to identify, propose and implement innovative ideas to add Value Engineering to the Projects.
· Testify as an Expert Witness if required. Interact with Legal, Real estate and Environmental Groups in support of Licensing/Permitting process. Technical Audits of High Voltage Cable Manufacturing Facilities and witnessing Factory Acceptance Tests.
· Develop Project Estimates and Schedules, evaluate Design options and criteria for Technical Merit, and conduct Field Visits to verify routing conditions and parameters.
· Review Drawings for Manufacturers and use information in the production of Drawings.
- 10 years+ experience in Transmission and Distribution Engineering and Power Systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Civil or Structural Engineering, (MSEE and MBA desired)
- Professional Engineers (PE) License or EIT required.
Salary ~ 100k to 140k+ (Depending on Experience)
Generous Benefits Package
Please submit your current Resume as a Microsoft Word Document Attachment to:
John Bolduc, Vice President, MRI - The Boston Group